Frank discussions, advice, and opinions from a Catholic Director of Religious Education.



Friday, January 6, 2012

Seven Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 14)


7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 158)


1. My mom certainly was surprised! As I wrote earlier, we went down to North Carolina for Christmas to surprise my mom. It was my dad's idea, and boy did he play it up. After he picked us up from the airport, he called my mom to tell her he was coming home early to wait for a Christmas present to be delivered. He said that it wouldn't be wrapped yet, so she should go upstairs. He made sure that she understood the present was expensive and if she happened to hear a doorbell before he got there, she should go downstairs and get the gift (it shouldn't be left on the stoop). When we got to the house my mom was upstairs and we went into a side room with the baby (thankfully sleeping). My dad went upstairs and acted very upset. He said he came home and the gift was on the front porch. He reminded my mom that he specifically said to bring the package inside if it arrived early. (Of course, no doorbell rang because no delivery man came). My mom stormed downstairs (right past us!) and opened the front door while saying, "I never heard anything!" My dad started to say something and then stopped, looked at us, and said, "Hey, what are you doing here?" My mom didn't stop shaking for about 15 minutes. Needless to say, she was very happy with her surprise.

2. So a criminal broke out of the monastery he was serving his time in and pleaded with police to be sent back to prison because life with the monks was too hard. Say what you will about Catholics, but we're hard core. You gonna' roll with us, you need to be a tough sucka'.

3. I got The Settlers of Catan for Christmas. Man, that is a fun game, and Katrina won the first time so she likes it now. I am really liking these strategy games. They are interesting and can be played over and over. It fits into our grand plan, too. We've already done away with cable. The next step will be to slowly weed out video games. (I am on my final countdown. I just want to finish a few on my list.) Eventually, the hope is that our family will actually interact with one another and spend our time a little better.

4. I've been reading Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis. It is the second in his sci-fi trilogy. I really like it so far. The main character goes to another planet where God has created a new race that lives in a pre-fall state. It is really very interesting how Lewis views life before (in this case without) sin. If you're interested, the first book of the series was Out of the Silent Planet. it was a fun (and quick) read.

5. Speaking of a good read, I finished On Hope, by Joseph Pieper. It was another quick read as the author led a reflection on the virtue of Hope. I guess I always discounted this virtue as "Faith, Part II". After reading this book I think I have a much greater appreciation for this virtue and, specifically, how the three theological virtues of Faith, Hope and Charity interact with one another.

6. Why do vacations make us even more exhausted? I had about 11 days off work, but somehow I feel at least as exhausted as I did before I left. I need a vacation where I stay put.

7. I know it is a little late, but did anyone have any New Years resolutions?

6 comments:

  1. Ahh, I love your blog page, and your themes. You'll find something kindred to your interests, I think: http://wrestlinggypsies.blogspot.com
    I doing a PhD in Theology at Leuven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't do slang........ever!! It also sounds like your wife is a wonderful human being who deserves flowers when she gets home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Augie: Thanks!

    @Sunshine: You are wonderful KATRINA, but frankly, I'd be more worried about a clean apartment when you get back than flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #6: for me, i'm more tired because i'm not in an environment where i can control things (i.e. how baby-proofed it is) and i'm on constant guard against something that daniel will break/ingest/touch.

    #7: do two 5K walks/runs for charity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That story about the criminal begin to be released from his "time" at he monastery really struck me. What a lesson: it's easier to be incarcerated where you don't have to reform, than it is to tend vegetables be alone with God all day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read a piece on #2. If I remember correctly, the person in question turned himself into police. That is, he broke out of the monastery for the comforts of prison!

    ReplyDelete