Frank discussions, advice, and opinions from a Catholic Director of Religious Education.



Thursday, December 22, 2011

Seven Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 13)

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 154)



1. I am going to be SOOOOOO tired... As I write this at about 8:46 PM, my wife and I still need to pack, load the car and do some last minute cleaning and dishes before we leave for North Carolina. As I wrote in an earlier post, we are surprising my mother for Christmas (see number 7), but we have to leave the house at about 3:00 AM with a sleepy, and most likely unhappy, infant. Grumpy infants generally lead to annoyed mamas and annoyed mamas often cause disgruntled dadas. So prayers are appreciated for the long day of travel ahead.

2. My wife and I have been saying the rosary each night as part of our Advent observances. It gets so hard to find time to pray together during the year that I think we should try to continue this practice now that we are in the habit. I don't know if it will last, but I'd at least like to try. At this point I think the key will be just sheer will.

3. I've been watching Grimm on Hulu. My wife hates it, but I think it is pretty decent. It isn't... well it isn't very original or bright, but it's entertaining enough to help me lose myself in a fantasy world.

4. Speaking of fantasy worlds, why do we still have so many GOP contenders? It seems like some of them ought to be dropping off pretty soon. I don't know who we will get after the next election, but I don't foresee a great future in any scenario.

5. We recently had two events at our parish that didn't fare well (attendance was very low for one and we had to practically get on our knees, beg and offer our first born children to get volunteers for the other). I don't know what it is, but participation is sorely lacking. Parents just don't seem to care. I would attribute this to the holidays, but this has been a problem for some time now. On top of it all, I can't stop thinking about fig trees...  weird... 

6. This is Eddie's first Christmas (and he probably isn't going to "get" the whole present thing yet) so we will see what happens. My bet? While we all open gifts he will see something shiny in the other room and bolt for it.

7. I hope all of you have a very merry Christmas and blessed New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and safe travels. Those mid-night/ early morning start times are hard on everyone. (Almost every flight from Alaska to the lower 48 leaves in the wee hours.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 - that is SO frustrating! My mom would try and do all these really "awesome" events and spend HOURS setting up and planning and 10 ppl would show up :( it's so frustrating! We are at a new parish this year and we're going to do Vacation Bible School for the FIRST time EVER! We're kinda excited and scared to see what happens...

    ReplyDelete