Frank discussions, advice, and opinions from a Catholic Director of Religious Education.



Thursday, October 6, 2011

Seven Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 7)

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 146)


1. First, this guy is awesome!




2. We had our first Whole-Community Catechesis night this past Wednesday. Our subject was "The Moral Life in Christ" and it went really well (with the exception that I ordered too much food). Our K-5 session used a mosaic craft to show how each of the choices we make throughout the day form a picture for God. That picture shows God who we really love and where we want to be. The parents and kids really seemed to like it and we gave the extra food to a local charity so, all in all, I count it as a success.

3. Do Ghost's Exist? Sort of. This Sunday we are having our first "Theology on Pop" discussion session for the year. We have about 15-20 high school students coming to learn about Ghosts, Hauntings, Demons, Heaven and Hell. Fun stuff, right? I had so many kids ask me last year about "Ghost Hunters" that I thought this would be prudent. Also, I've worked in a bonus for myself by having a section of the day devoted to debunking astrology and new age beliefs! I am giving each of the kids a personalized astrology "reading" (pre-typed with their name and birth date from their registration forms). What the kids don't know is that everyone has the same thing. The idea, of course, is to show them that their "reading" is so general it could apply to anyone.

4. My mother-in-law is coming for a visit. And I'm really excited. We haven't seen family for a few months (most live in North Carolina or Virginia) and it's going to be nice for her to see how big Eddie has gotten. Also, BABYSITTER! We're taking the youth group to an amusement park next Saturday and now my wife and I can chaperone with Mimi watching Eddie. Win, Win, Win.

5. My parents had their 30th wedding aanniversary. With marriage in the state it's in throughout the country, this is really something to be celebrated. I know in Minnesota we are facing a marriage amendment vote next fall and our Bishops are really trying to get people informed on this subject,but if we fail and marriages continues to degrade I'm not sure how many more 30th anniversary's we'll be seeing.

6. Cheesy Jokes.

What do you call a cow with no legs? Ground Beef

What is brown and sticky? A stick



7. Finally, this guy is awesome too.

No comments:

Post a Comment