Frank discussions, advice, and opinions from a Catholic Director of Religious Education.



Thursday, September 29, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 6)




7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 144)



1. And They're OFF... We had our kickoff night this past Wednesday for Lifelong Learning (our religious ed. program). Each year we try to do something a little different to start things off. This time, we started with a prayer service where our catechists received a blessing from Father and then moved on to a barbecue cooked by our men's club. I also rented a bouncy castle and the super cool obstacle course to the right. BIG hit with the kids.  



I've seen sillier...
2. Every Dollar Counts. I try to double up whenever possible so during our kickoff night I thought the youth group could provide a little entertainment and raise some money as well. I made a bunch of signs with things the kids would do for $1. Parishioners could have the kids make bad balloon animals (advertised as such), follow other parishioners and tell cheesy jokes. We also had a group of girls you could pay to STOP singing (they made a LOT). I think we actually got close to $100! For what it was, I was really impressed.


3. Young Adults Group. We are going to get some additional help in the office and maybe start a few new programs. I know we are certainly going to start a young adults (20-39) group. I have some good ideas for individual events, but the form for something really lasting is still elusive. Any ideas?

4. Low Participation. Still struggling to get people involved at the parish. Everyone seems to like the events we have, but getting them to actually commit and come is a struggle. For instance, my assistant was having a retreat for girls in the 4th-6th grades. Plenty of mothers expressed interest, but we still don't have many signed up. I can only hope that as we keep having events our rate of participation will climb.


5. Virtus Training. We just made the move to VIRTUS for our safe environment training. Our volunteers took it pretty well considering that many of them got trained on the old program last year (which was supposed to be a one time deal) and had to go through it all over again this month. Still, we had some good conversations about keeping the kids safe and got through it in one piece.


6. Close to Crawling. I am sure my son is going to crawl any day now. He can get on all fours, lifting his stomach off the ground, and rock back and forth. He REALLY wants to go...anywhere...


This game is SO much fun.
7. Settlers of Catan. OK. I want it. I was trying to let it go, but after playing Settlers of Catan with some friends a few weeks ago I want the game. My wife and I have really embraced German board games (Carcassonne, Dominion, etc.) after being introduced to them by another couple and now I fear that we are too far down the road to turn back. We're addicted. Hello, my name is Ed, and I'm a German board game-aholic. 

3 comments:

  1. My 2 1/2 year old is almost walking though still does like crawling. The scary thing is when they start pulling themselves up on furniture. Nothing is safe after that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I bet! We have a very low...shrine?... with saint statues on it (action figure size). I get more and more worried each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably start relocating the shrine to higher ground? :) This is when they also start climbing.

    Everyone tells me how hard my life will become once Daniel (my 2.5 year old) is walking and perhaps that's true in some ways but... it would also make my life SO much easier in others. He's about 25 lbs and having a joint condition does not make lifting him a joy! It might also mean the start of potty-training.

    (Daniel was a 29 week preemie and has developmental delays. Hence, he's still not totally walking and has delays in speech and his motor skills.)

    ReplyDelete