Frank discussions, advice, and opinions from a Catholic Director of Religious Education.



Friday, September 2, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (3)

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 140)

Seven things my children will NEVER be allowed to do (and that I've seen other parents allow)...

1. Call me at work every five minutes. Look, I get it. I did the same thing when I was a kid, but my mom started the "spurt, fall and die" rule. Basically, if something isn't spurting out of you, falling off of you or dead, then your phone call means you need more chores.  

2. Wear flip flops as an Altar Server. My children won't be wearing anything that flips or flops at Mass, period, but this offense by an Altar Server is especially heinous.

3. Mouth off to anyone in authority (whether they deserve it or not). Look, I'm not necessarily talking about heinous actions by dictators or legitimate criticisms, but cursing out a police officer because he gave you a ticket or a catechist because she wouldn't let you talk over her is way out of line. When we exercise prudence and guard our language we grow in holiness, develop the habit of respecting rightful authority and actually open more doors than we would have otherwise.

4. Watch unlimited TV. Want to make sure that your kids can't pray and have no patience? Give them unlimited techno time. Internet? TV? Video games? Just let them do whatever they want. I'm pretty sure they know what's best.

5. Complain. I know kids complain. What I mean is that I won't (to the best of my ability) enable those complaints. Your kid is whining that I won't let him go on the youth group trip because he didn't bring his permission slip? Don't look at me, address the situation. Either get me the slip or tell your son he made a mistake and needs to understand the consequences of failing to follow the rules. Trust me, when your son is lying in pain at the hospital for hours because no doctor will touch him without parental consent for medical assistance, you'll be singing a different tune.

6. Too much free time. Every time I've seen kids say, "Wanna' light a fire", it has been because we they were bored.

And the one thing I will be absolutely sure to never allow...

7. Skipping Mass. Sick? OK. Flat tire? Fine. You signed up for too many sporting events this weekend?  Wow, your teams are gonna' be mad at you, because we're going to Mass.


Special Thanks to Jennifer at Conversion Diary for hosting this!

3 comments:

  1. Own a cell phone before the age of 16. There's no reason a nine year needs a cell phone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So with you on #3,5, and 7. Mouthing off to ANY adult was verboten when I was a kid (I'm 31) and it bugs me when I see kids do it now. #5 is one of those things that was also non-negotiable for Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and youth group when I was growing up. Even now, my husband's rule (for Scouts and youth) is that if the permission slip isn't in his hand, the kid doesn't go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you sound like a great Dad- I am with you on #7- in any case, there are usually other Masses that can be gotten to even if you have to miss 'your' Mass

    ReplyDelete